What is the Self-Determination Program?
Self-Determination was developed as a voluntary alternative to the traditional way of providing regional center services and is intended to offer people more freedom and control over how their services are provided. It's about being in control, making your own decisions on what services and programs you want, and spending money your way.
How is the Self Determination Program different than the traditional program?
Self-determination provides flexibility in choosing your services, supports, and providers.
To participate in the Self Determination program, a person must:
- Be eligible for Regional Center services
- Attend an Orientation to Self -Self-Determination Program (look this up on the Regional Center site, and ask your Coordinator for more info)
Stowell works with clients who are in The Self-Determination Program. We work with all Self Determination Financial Management Systems. Independent Facilitators help you transition from the Traditional Program to Self Determination. Contact Exceptional Connections for more information:
- Click: https://exceptionalconnections.co/
- Email: [email protected]
- Call: Annat Sanchez - (626) 818-1846
Our goal for students is that they become the most comfortable, confident, and independent learners that they can be. The development of underlying neurodevelopmental, processing, and executive function skills helps individuals increase body awareness and control, regulation and attention, comprehension, communication, and independence.
Following a Functional Academic and Learning Skills Assessment, an individual Cognitive Learning Therapy Plan is created for the student.
Key areas of focus for individuals utilizing Self-Determination programming are:
- Social awareness & skills
- Relationship skills
- Responsible decision-making
- Understanding and using verbal and nonverbal language
- Self-Direction – problem-solving, exercising choice, initiating and planning activities
- Self Regulation.
- Emotional regulation
- Comprehension and communication skills
- Visual inner language
- Verbal inner language
- Working memory and verbal working memory
- Time orientation
- Patterns and relationships
- Problem solving
- Using information
- Making connections
- Logic and reasoning
- Relevance vs non-relevance
- Study skills
- Test-taking strategies
- Self-monitoring and management of attention and behavior (self-control, self-regulation, attentional control, emotional regulation, cognitive flexibility)
- Social awareness / tact
Ready to take the next step?
Speak to a Learning Specialist to get a better sense of the program costs to inform your financing needs.