In this episode:
- What Executive Function really is
- How emotions and resistance can impact executive function
- A simple framework for developing executive function in kids, teens and adults
“Any [executive function] intervention that fails to address ‘resistance’ is missing a massive opportunity to serve these kids.”
In this week’s episode, Seth Perler shares his approach in developing executive function. What isn’t commonly talked about is that there is a mindset and emotional component.
Surprisingly, the two things that need to be in place for successful executive function development: rapport with the coach (Ex. secure attachment), and emotional regulation.
Tune in to learn more about how he builds rapport and approaches emotional regulation.
- Seth Perler’s Website, Youtube, and Executive Function Summit Aug 2022
- Attachment Theory – Describes different types of parent-child relationships which can affect how receptive a child is to cooperating or being coached
- Mindset: The New Pyschology of Success – Book recommendation from Seth
- Blessing: Exceptional Talent. Challenge: Lack of Focus and Follow-Through – Blog post
Questions Answered in This Episode:
- How do you go from a resistance mindset to a “can do” mindset?
- Do you have advice for addressing social consequences of executive function issues?
- How can we help young ones develop good systems?
- How can we apply this to older children and adults?
Listen, Watch and Subscribe
Subscribe to the LD Expert podcast in your preferred player and sign up for our weekly newsletter. Get the answers and proven solutions for dyslexia, learning differences and attention challenges sent directly to your inbox.